Sunday, April 26, 2009

April 15th -19th leading up to Boston

15th - This turned into a busy day as we were leaving the next day for Boston so I did not get a run in but since we are so close to the Marathon I don't think it makes much of a difference.

16th - Travel day. We were up at 3:30 am pst. On the plane from Redmond to Portland at 5:15 am pst. Caught our plane from PDX to BOS at 7:20 am pst. Arrived in Boston at 3:45 pm est. As we were waiting for our bags I saw Kara Groucher and since I just bought the new Runner's World magazine and she was on the front I asked her for her autograph. She was very kind and obliged. I am not big on autographs but I thought why not, she may end up winning the Boston Marathon. Our friend picked us up and we heading north to a small town called Byfield. No run again as I was on a plane all day and we were now off to dinner.

17th - Got lots of rest. Chance to sleep in without the kids and Cheryl and I both took full advantage. We woke up to a beautiful sunny day so I headed out for a 5 mile run with 3 miles at marathon pace. Got in the marathon pace 3 miles but took a wrong turn and ended up going 6.5 miles. It was a nice day and a good cool down. We spent the afternoon at the beach enjoying the nice weather. Friday night we headed to Woodmans in Essex for some "Lobster Rolls" and seafood. Cheryl and I each had 1 1/2 lobster rolls, clam chowder and some onion rings. Great food, good company and a time to relax.

18th - Lots of rest again but the weather was changing. The weatherman was still call for cool temps, possible rain and WIND for the marathon on Monday. Got out for a short 30 minute jog just trying to loosen up the legs. Did some stretching and then just sat around and read books and magazines. That evening we went to some friends house for social hour and to meet their new goats. Yep, goats, we were kind of in the country and they lived on 3 acres so it all made sense. After social hour we all gathered for dinner out the "ranch" (34 acres) in Byfield and had a yummy family feast. Then it was off to bed.

19th - As awoke in the morning the clouds have moved in and the wind was picking up. Not too cold but it was still uncertain what the weather would be like for the Marathon although they were pretty sure the rain would hold off until after the race. No run today as it was the day before the marathon and rest was important. We just kind of hung out at the house and had breakfast until it was time to head back to Boston and check into our hotel. We checked in and then had a nice 1.5 mile walk to Downtown Boston and the Convention Center for packet pick up. Waiting until Sunday was nice as there was no line and the not too many people walking around looking at the booths. We spent a little time walking around until meeting up with my parents for dinner. Kept it simple, Cheesecake Factory and had Pasta with Chicken and some bread. After dinner we went back to the Hotel and I got all of my stuff prepared for the marathon so I did not have much to do in the morning. Went to bed about 8:30 pm. Took a little bit to get to sleep but I figured I was asleep by 9:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment